Empowering economically disadvantaged children through education.
One-to-One Learning Since 1965
Tutoring Chicago (formerly Cabrini Green Tutoring Program) has been supporting kids in Cabrini Green and beyond since 1965. With a solid history behind us and an even-stronger future ahead, we offer kids the stability of a trustworthy organization. Beyond classroom help, students also benefit from structure, a positive environment, and a safe place to learn, grow and discover.
Tutoring Chicago is a private, non-profit organization that provides free weekly tutoring to approximately 700+ students in grades one through six with the help of over 750+ dedicated volunteers.
Our students come from economically disadvantaged families from all around Chicago, but most significantly from the Near North and Near West neighborhoods, the Logan Square area and as far south as Hyde Park. Tutoring sessions are held Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings from 6:00 pm to 7:30pm. Each student is paired with his/her own volunteer tutor. The program provides a safe, stable learning environment and individualized attention for the children.
Since beginning in 1965 by a group of employees at Montgomery Ward, the Cabrini Green Tutoring Program has helped thousands of economically disadvantaged students in elementary school grow both personally and academically. In June 1990, Cabrini Green Tutoring Program became incorporated as a private non-profit organization dedicated to the youth of Cabrini Green.
Over the years, the organization has been recognized for its quality educational services for low income children.
- The Cabrini Green Tutoring Program, Inc. was previously on the White House list of Exemplary Tutoring and Reading Programs. In 1996, CGTP was part of former President Clinton’s “America Reads” Challenge.
- In 2006, the Cabrini Green Tutoring Program received the prestigious Thomas A. Demetrio Lend-A- Hand Award of Excellence as an outstanding and exemplary tutoring program in Chicago.
- In December 2008, CGTP received the Sun-Times Literacy Award from the Sun-Times Judge Marovitz Lawyers Lend-A-Hand to Youth Program.
- In December 2009 and 2013, the organization was honored to be the featured charity at the holiday luncheon of the Greater North Michigan Avenue Association.
- In September 2015, Tutoring Chicago celebrates 50 years of service to needy children in Chicago.
- In December 2015, Michael Jordan chose Tutoring Chicago as one of 23 organizations to donate the net of his lawsuit award.
- In Spring 2016, Tutoring Chicago was one of four organizations to receive the Impact 100 Award.
Originally housed at Chicago Ave. and Larrabee Ave. for 33 years, the organization moved to the New City YMCA in the late 90’s; and later found its home in 2007 inside the St. Vincent de Paul Center at Halsted and Webster. In fall 2011, we were proud to announce the addition of a second site, located at Goethe Elementary School in Logan Square. In fall 2016, we partnered with Hope Institute Learning Academy in the Near West Side to open up our 3rd site. Today, we are searching for our 4th location to be open soon.
In summer 2012, Cabrini Green Tutoring Program became Tutoring Chicago. The new name enabled us to elevate our target market to include local neighborhoods beyond Cabrini Green while remaining positioned as a nonprofit, community-oriented organization, committed to providing free tutoring to children around the city.